Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Patras and Naupaktos

The first museum of many on our trip was the Archaeological museum of Patras. These museums finds cover the time period from 3000 B.C. to 4th century A.D. Here were housed some of the finds from inside the tombs at Voudeni. The museum was neat in that it had reconstructions of typical parts of houses you'd find in excavations and excellent mosaic floors.
the museum

This is what our museum tickets always look like since we have passes to get into all museums and archeological sites for free. This particular ticket is from another museum, but it looks the same.


one of the houses, you can see the other just to the right

the second house
a private bath reconstruction

a mosaic

some statues

a laid out skeleton
skeleton in a grave

mosaic

mosaic

mosaic

Bob liked these bird shaped containers

and these coins

The top I think was supposed to be getting ready for a theater production, and the bottom is athletes for the Olympics if I'm remembering this correctly, but I think the bottom looks like a dance party.
My favorite part of this museum was learning about the glass blowing. I thought this was really neat. They heat up a glob of glass and then put it on a straw like apparatus then blow it and continue to heat it and form it.

they create all these different things from blowing glass
The museum also had some modern displays randomly throughout the other things, and I'm not sure the purpose of them, but I took a few pictures of those things because I thought they were colorful.
modern sculptures

plates on a wall and ground?
Also, I found this one tomb picture from Voudeni I forgot to post, this is the entrance hole to the tomb.


Then finally I realized on that first night I didn't post any hotel pictures of Hotel Afroditi in Naupaktos, and I also have a few more water pictures from Naupaktos.


the view from our balcony




The sky looks so cool.

statue of Cervantes

picture of the town as we were walking around
Just so you know:
I have a not so great camera that I am taking pictures with. Bob has a much nicer camera as do most of the others that we travel with. I sometimes steal Bob's pictures if they look clearer than mine. I also see a lot of the others posting their pictures on Facebook. I tell them I think they take amazing pictures, and sometimes they tell me they just threw on the filter and it looked so cool. I did not realized they used filters for the photos. I don't know how to put the filer on. I now recall seeing in the past people posting photos and saying #nofilter. I realize what this means now, and I guess I should let you all know that since I have no idea how to do the filter, just assume all photos are #nofilter, so I don't have to hashtag my stuff.

MBIA(meanwhile back in Athens):
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in a previous post, but our shower here is quite small, and the curtain envelops me. I do not like this, so today I bought a magnet to see if I could stick it to the side like some shower curtains have for the tub, but it didn't work, so I'm working on finding other solutions. Side story: I bought this magnet from a periptero, which is a kiosk stand. The man was very friendly and addressed me in Greek with a more friendly/familiar hello than the formal one usually used. He then asked me if I spoke Greek in Greek, to which I replied a little, and he said once again in Greek that I spoke well. I thought that was nice of him. Maybe he was just hoping I'd buy the magnet.










No comments:

Post a Comment