Monday, February 27, 2017

Tower of the Winds and Roman Agora of Athens

Bob is giving a presentation on the Tower of the Winds next week, so he asked if I wanted to accompany him there for a visit today. The Roman Agora of Athens was built in the 2nd half of the 1st century BC. It has a large rectangular open courtyard surrounded by stoas, shops, and storerooms.

Rex was chilling here today.

The Gate of Athena Archegetis.

The Tower of the Winds.

The East Propylon.

The Tower of the Winds is so called because a bronze weather vane (no longer preserved) on the roof indicated the direction of the winds. Personifications of the these winds are carved around the top of the tower. Here I zoomed in on two. Rays of sun-dials are carved on each side beneath these scenes.

Inside the tower was a waterclock.


The waterclock was operated by water running down from the Acropolis.


More pictures from inside the tower, which was only within the last year opened to the public.


In other news, I found my new favorite ice cream spot in Athens. It is called Carnaval, and it has the second cheapest ice cream I've found - only 1.50 for a scoop in a cone. They have recognizable flavors, and the lady who works there gives me a free sweet sample each time I come in.
Snickers flavor

Also, remember that beach we had lunch at just over a week ago?

Nothing special to say about it. I just really enjoyed it, so I wanted to remind everyone of its beauty.

2 comments:

  1. The Tower of the Winds is octagonal! That is awesome. I love the idea of the water clock, but wouldn't it be innately flawed due to evaporation??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing there was a steady amount from the Acropolis.

    ReplyDelete