Thursday, September 29, 2016

Thasos

We have arrived on our first island! We took a ferry over to the island of Thasos today; this ride was my first time on a ferry. We got some pretty neat pictures.



Bob said we should go take a titanic picture on the front. I said I don't think so Bob.



I don't know that I'll ever get over the beautiful views here.

this seagull was our navigator
For much of the ferry ride, I was singing my own version of the "First Time in Forever" song from Frozen which I titled "My First Time on a Ferry". Not sure if you can follow me on that one or not.

Before the ferry ride (1:45pm), we had visited Amphipolis, where we saw a lion statue that is supposed to be part of a tomb as a funeral marker with many other rock pieces from temples, a museum and some ruins from a colony of Athenians and a supposed tomb of a Spartan general, fortification walls, house remnants, and what is left of a bridge. Then we ventured to Thasos where we visited another Agora and museum. Once again pictures of these things to come at a later point in time.

We did walk around a couple streets of the town, but not as much as usual because Bob wanted to go back to the museum. While he did that I played some Pokemon Go. Here are a few pictures of the town including some nice sunset pictures. I am also curious if some sort of festival/carnival is about to happen because I saw some bumper cars being erected.
bumper cars

view of the water from the hotel street

street on the water

We did not get a water view tonight, but this is the view from our balcony in the hotel

sun starting to set

setting more
still setting


almost gone

Bob and I discovered today while eating gyros in bed, that this has become a very common thing. I thought I would capture this routine in action.

Thought of the day:
Pretty much all I drink is water, and I never have any drinks with caffeine unless you count chocolate milk. Today the waiter at breakfast was asking for drink orders and the answers went something like "coffee, coffee, coffee, tea, coffee, coffee..." Then he gets to me, and the conversation goes something like this:
Me: cold water
Waiter: cold water?
Me: Yes
W: No coffee?
Me: No
W: How do you wake up in the morning?
*everyone laughs*
This really made me think about coffee. On this trip we we stop for a coffee break every couple of hours. Greece is full of coffee shops. I can't believe how much coffee people drink. There are many cafes here, and they only sell coffee and a select few treats. There are often several cafes on each street. Other people on the field trip told me that Greek coffee is super strong too. A common thing here is to sit at a cafe for several hours with coffee and just socialize and people watch. Most often you see old men doing this, but all people do it.

1 comment:

  1. I love people watching! I will have to visit Greece and do it.

    ReplyDelete