Sunday, September 25, 2016

Lefkopigi

We got in really late tonight, and I have a pounding headache, so I'm going to post a little differently tonight. I'm going to share just one Greek culture fact I learned today. I apologize in advance for the lack of animal pictures even though I did get some today. I thought the coolest thing happened today, and I was very happy to see a part of the Greek culture like this. We made a pit stop in a village of about 1200 people today called Lefkopigi. While the group split off to get coffee, I'm standing outside, and this procession of cars drive by all honking their horns obnoxiously. It was like a wild funeral procession, but with ribbons tied to the cars. Then we realize it is actually for a wedding. A lot of men and a couple women get out of the cars. The men are wearing aprons, and one is carrying sweets and shoes. A couple men start playing instruments while the rest dance down the street. At first I just tried to sneak a photo of this, but then Bob ended up recording a video.




We later learned that this is one of the traditions of the village. How it works is that the men who are the grooms maids get the aprons as gifts. They dance to the bride's house where she is all dressed up except for her shoes. The best man is to bring her the shoes. The problem is that she is locked in her room. The groom apparently has to eat a chicken at the bride's home and the in-laws break a giant loaf of bread over his head. While this is going on, the best man is bribing the bridesmaids with money to let him into the room with the bride. Once in, he has to put the shoes on the bride, and I guess it is custom for the bride to say the shoes are too big, so he should put something in there to make them fit, and that something is money. I found this such an interesting and fun custom.

No comments:

Post a Comment