Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Tombs at Lefkadia

You may have noticed we see a lot of tombs. These tombs were a lot different than ones we'd seen in the past. They were very large and colorful. The way they were excavated keeps them underground and cool. In this area there are four tombs, but only two can be visited. One had a nice viewing area so I could take a picture of the whole thing. The other only had about three feet of space to back up to take a picture, so I couldn't get it all on one photo.
This first tomb was called The Judgement Tomb because of the paintings on it. They are judges of the underworld.
we went down into the underground structure

Notice the four pictorial representations of the four men.





As we were walking from the first tomb to the second, this little guy came up for some pets. He was the smallest pup we saw on the trip.

He was Mr. Popular for sure.

The second tomb is called The Palmette Tomb because of the palmette decor on the top of the tomb.
This one was more of a shed than a viewing area.

see the palmette at the top





we got to go inside this tomb



inside the tomb
 
the ceiling of the tomb

This is the outside of a third tomb, but we were not able to view it. I can't remember why we were not allowed.

Athens update:
Still rainy days here in Athens. I gave directions in Greek yesterday to a lady asking me where the Metro was located. I also had a short conversation in Greek about where I was from and my Greek speaking abilities with a shop owner today. I enjoy these conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment