Thursday, January 26, 2017

Sounion (Attica Day Trip Part II)

I believe I last left you standing in the Vari Farmhouse eagerly awaiting me to return for the second half of our trip. We left the farmhouse and headed to Cape Zoster where we went into a private beach club (right near the hotel where Obama stayed during his visit to Greece in November). We ate our lunch by the beach. Although it was cold, it was still a nice view.
Directly behind where we sat was actually the reason we had come to this place. The Temple of Apollo.
Beyond the temple was the Priest's House, which I'm just now realizing I did not take a picture of and had planned to steal one of Bob's but didn't. Nonetheless, we saw it, and we were also told to watch our step; since it's near the public beach people often come up to it and poop there. Fortunately, there were no shoe casualties this year.

Finally on to our last stop, Sounion. There are two smaller temples to Athena located here.
Not much remains.
The Temple of Poseidon at Sounion is the real treasure. The temple was built in the 4th century BCE. There are some inscriptions on the temple including one by the famous Lord Byron (I wrote a blog on this fellow earlier). Over time the temple has collected a lot of graffiti. One I saw said "happy birthday Danielle 1985". I do wonder if that is why the site is now surrounded by a giant fence. We got special permission to go inside the temple, so I got a few up close and personal shots with some of the carvings.
The temple from far away.

In the temple.




You'll notice it looks good from all angles.





Circa 1857 I'm guessing.


Some up high graffiti. How did they even get up there?
Some of the old fortification wall.

I forgot there was a ship shed here too, but I didn't get a picture from Bob.

As always, there was a beautiful view.




No comments:

Post a Comment