Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Saint Demetrius

I don't remember any historical details about this church, so I'm going to take those from Wikipedia and hope for the best. What I do remember about this church is it had a crazy cool crypt below it.
The Church of Saint Demetrius is the main sanctuary dedicated to Saint Demetrius, the patron saint of Thessaloniki(where it is located). The first church on the spot was constructed in the early 4th century AD.
The crypt underneath is the place where St. Demetrios was martyred. Supposedly it was an old bath house in which Demetrios was imprisoned.
The church was so tall I couldn't get it in one camera shot, so this is the top.

Here is the bottom.

inside


down in the crypt

The crypt had many rooms and passages, and there were relics on display.


There was a fountain in the middle of it.

Which appears to now be a sort of a wishing well since this is what I found in the bottom of it.

Today in Athens:
Bob was on a day trip, and I needed to get gift bags and tissue paper for staff Christmas gifts. As I was walking home, I stumbled upon these little fellows.


Bob brought me this bad boy back from his adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment